Sunday, October 14, 2012

ER Trip

So after the BBQ we were going to go out to dessert to celebrate our anniversary, I think Andrew said he was going to take us to get a Crepe. Well Easton just didn't feel good but we thought he was ok. Well a storm started rolling in so we went to leave. Well as we were leaving Easton starts throwing up and his breathing got really bad. Well we decided, ok Andrew decided that we should probably take him to a doctor and since it was nearing 8 the ER would be the best option. I was still holding out for that promised Crepe so I was like well lets go get dessert and then go, yes putting my stomach before my child! I finally had some sense knocked into me and we headed for the ER. We got there and checked in and didn't even sit down and the nurse that was by admissions immediately took us back. He had been counting respiration's and doing some other stuff while we were checking in and he didn't like what he was hearing. The poor kid didn't sound good and his blood oxygen level was way out of whack! They took us back to triage and got some of his vitals and then took us to our room. They immediately had about five people in our room, I still don't know why five people ask the same 20 questions at doctors offices, can't one person do it and then tell the others. It is really annoying to give your story 5 different times! They gave him some Tylenol because he had a fever of 103.3. They came back about 20 min later and took his temp again and it was the same (another annoying thing is they kept taking it rectally, in this day in time I don't think that is necessary I don't know why a hospital doesn't have a better thermometer!). They gave him some ibuprofen and it immediately started to drop. We had some x-rays done to see if everything was ok. They took 3 viles of blood, and ran some other tests. They had to bag him to get a sample of urine. At one point I had major deja vu when they came in and said you can go as soon as he goes wet. The famous last words when he was born and they wouldn't discharge us until he went wet. In the meantime they gave him a breathing treatment. It worked really well and after about 2 hours he was up and running in circles! He just had the croup cough but the x-rays were good because it showed that he has a really small opening and so this probably won't be our last time with croup. Finally after 4 hours they let us go home! We walked outside and it was pouring a freezing, while in the hospital the temp went from 80 degreees to 47 degrees! Lucky for Ella she was the only one with a jacket and only because I had just bought it the day before and it was in the car! We were all so exhausted by then and it was nice the kids slept in until 10 the next morning!
 
He was so out of it!
 
I love the little cuff they put on him it was so tiny!
 
Our awesome nurses. They were so nice and one even took Ella on a walk for us and took her to a special room and they came back with juice and Popsicles for us all!
The kids loved the blue throw up bags in the rooms, Easton just kept taking off his hospital bracelets and putting them in the bag.
 
 
I loved what the nurse did with the Popsicles for the kids. She cut a cup down and poked a hole in the bottom so it would catch the drips, I will now always do that!
 
We were thankful for our phones while we were sitting there. They had two stations on the TV and we were in a small maybe 10x10 room so we were all going crazy so Netflix on our phones saved the day!
He is doing a lot better and finished his medicine yesterday. He still has a lingering cough but nothing he can't handle after that awesome experience! I'm still holding out for my crepe ;)

3 comments:

Lant Family said...

ER visits are the worse!! I am glad he is okay and everything worked out. happy anniversary!!

JenRoth said...

I love the popsicle trick! I learned that at the hospital too when we kept having to go in for McKinley's jaundice and the nurses gave Madison popsicles :) Glad Easton is feeling better!!

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

What a scary experience to have your little guy in the ER!