So we rolled into the hotel at about 7:45 after being in the car all day. My parents, Grandma, and cousin Ali were already there and had been checked in all day. They were so nice to wait for us to eat dinner. We checked in and then decided to find the closest Islands burgers. It is a favorite place of ours and so I was really excited! We found one just ten minutes up the road and headed that way. We finally found a place to park, there wasn't one anywhere near the restaurant and then were sat right down! We got our drinks and ordered and were having a really good time. Then all the sudden the place just started shaking, like nothing I have ever felt before. That light above us was swinging back and forth. I grabbed onto Andrew's arm so tight and was trying to figure out how to get under the table. It only lasted about 15 seconds or so but was so terrifying to me. I immediately started trying to figure out what we would do if it started again. The manager of the restaurant immediately started making his rounds making sure everyone was ok. The guy at a table by us cut his leg pretty bag trying to get under the table. The manager told us initially it was a 5.3 but later came back and said 5.1, either way it was strong. We finally got our food and it really was good but most of our appetites were pretty shot by then and I couldn't tell if there were aftershocks or if I was still shaking from fear. We went to leave when we were done and the parking lot was a ghost town, it was amazing how it made everyone clear out! We went back to hotel and watched the news for a while until Andrew told me it was freaking me out more than it should so he turned it off. We continued to have aftershocks all night and the next few days, one of those times as we gathered in my parents room that night for a family prayer. We ended up being less than a mile from the epicenter so that is why it seemed so strong. It was crazy! My kids still bring it up everyday and ask if it is going to shake again, it terrified them as well!
I made the manager take a picture of us after we survived, ha ha!

2 comments:
That is crazy and scary!
So glad everything was ok! When my folks mentioned you were all in CA my heart dropped. Scary!
What a fun trip besides the quake. Great pictures!
Post a Comment